Media Release: Engaging the whole community in positive conversations about mental health I Southern Highlands Community Forum
A forum designed specifically to help communities support the mental health and wellbeing of young people will be held in the Southern Highlands next Tuesday 26th June.
Run by preventative mental health organisation batyr, the forum will provide the community with the tools on how to have positive conversations about mental health, the skills to start that conversation and the knowledge of what professional resources are available in the local area.
Thanks to the support of BDCU Children’s Foundation and local sponsors The Agency Ben Olofsen Real Estate; Spantec; Austruss and Wingecarribee Shire Council.
The engaging forum will provide direction on:
- Starting the conversation when they don’t know the “right” thing to say
- What warning signs they can be looking out for
- How parents can respond to their children in a caring and constructive way
- The diverse range of resources that exist to support young people and parents
Attendees will hear from keynote speaker and one of Australia’s leading positive psychologists, Dr Tim Sharp aka ‘Dr Happy’, as well as a young person with a lived experience of mental ill health and what helped them on their journey.
They will also have the opportunity to participate in a live Q&A with special guests.
- Tim Sharp (The Happiness Institute)
- Kathleen Bokey (Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist)
- Kim Millard (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Nurse)
- Steph Trainor (batyr lived experience speaker)
- Emergency Service representative
This forum will be a great opportunity for the Southern Highlands community to ask questions and learn how to better support the young people in the area.
Date: Tuesday the 26th of June 2018
Time: 7pm – 8:30pm. The event will be open to the public from 6:30pm
Location: Mittagong R.S.L Club (Old Hume Hwy, Mittagong)
For media enquiries or to come down and capture the event please contact:
Jenya Kalagurgevic – Marketing and Media Manager at batyr
Jenya@batyr.com.au or 0466 276 937